Friday, August 18, 2006

Comparison of sites for blogging - Blogger and WordPress

At first - I’ve started my blog on Blogger. It’s very good but I’ve decided to test also other blog services and I’ve chosen WordPress. At this moment I’m running my blog at the same time in both places: rightweb.wordpress.com and rightweb.blogspot.com. I did also some tests of the blog.com website but since I didn’t liked it at all - so I don’t compare it here.

Here are pros and cons for Blogger and WordPress:

Blogger

  • Pros: good choice of templates, very flexible templates, simple and intuitive post designers, supports commercial blogs (with easy AdSense implementation), very good help system and documentation, doesn’t show advertisements on your blog, very good support for JavaScript - you can put any add-ons you like
  • Cons: Cannot schedule posts for publishing at certain date, necessity to publish your posts to other server (extra steps, sometimes problematic), doesn’t support categories of posts (only simple list), difficult to use spellchecker

WordPress

  • Pros: good choice of templates, simple and intuitive post designers, built-in simple blog traffic reporting that includes also stats for feeds, excellent support for high ranking in search engines, doesn’t show advertisements on your blog, very good spellchecking interface
  • Cons: doesn’t support JavaScript (which closes the door for majority of add-ons), templates not very flexible and difficult to update, doesn’t support any good traffic reporting system (only simple counters), weak help system, doesn’t support advertising in your blogs, doesn’t support FireFox fully.

And the winner is… it’s a draw with WordPress being slightly better.

I like WordPress interface better - I would be very happy to switch totally to WordPress if it would support JavaScript. I could then use good metrics system (e.g. Google Analytics). It should also open up in the future for commercial blogs (with e.g. Google AdSense).

Blogger is very good too but it needs to start supporting categorization of posts and have ability to schedule posts for the future.

In meantime - I run blog in both places. :-)

What are your thoughts - do you see other differences? Do you know other good blogging sites? Your comments are very welcome!